FOREST - oxygen-giving nature, every breath a pleasure
Mecklenburg-Vorpommern is a leader in climate protection. Mecklenburg-Vorpommern has beaten a new path among other things with a «Forest Share». A tree can be purchased for 10 Euros per share, to facilitate the reforestation of climate forests and thus support CO ² absorption.
Mecklenburg-Vorpommern is the only state in Germany with several kilometres of coastal forest directly lining the beaches. Over 21% of the total area of the state is covered by deciduous, coniferous and mixed forests. This considerable proportion of oxygen-rich forests contributes considerably to the mild bracing climate and the low-allergen and low-pollution air in our federal state. A walk in these extensive forests offers, besides interesting and varied nature, recreation and peace and quiet for total relaxation and inner contemplation.
(534,962 ha of forest area in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, three national parks, five nature parks, three biosphere reserves, 400 nature conservation and landscape protection areas, 136 flora-fauna-habitat areas)
The state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, in three projects of the Bäderverband M-V, has made the use of the forest as a health resource in health resorts and recreational areas for prevention and rehabilitation in line with the indications, involving the competencies of forestry, medicine, tourism and landscape architecture. Criteria and quality standards were developed and at the 1st International Congress (2017) the forest area in the Baltic Sea spa of Heringsdorf, as the first spa and medicinal forest in Europe, was designated by decree.
Healing forests are forest areas designed for therapeutic use for special indications.
Treatments of diseases in the forest are suitable to favourably influence the extent of impairment caused by these diseases (tertiary prevention), if they are accompanied by trained therapists. Chronic diseases can be treated in a palliative way (palliation).(1)
National peculiarities are taken into account, e.g. in the definition of therapists. (2)
(1) Cf. definition according to the 1st «International Congress Health Potential Forest» in Heringsdorf/Germany 2017; supplemented and expanded in the statutes of the International Society of Forest Therapy (ISFT) based on the final declaration of the 3rd «International Congress Health Potential Forest» in Girona/Spain 2019 as well as linguistically corrected on 07.08.2020.
(2) It is recommended to always add this wording to the definition in order to take into account the national specificities of the liberal therapeutic professions.
Designated healing forests in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern:
- Baltic Sea spa Heringsdorf
- Plau am See
Healing forests under construction:
- Klink (Müritz Clinic)
- Bad Doberan (Bad Doberan mud spa)
- Waren (Müritz) spa - Am Nesselberg
Cure forests are forest areas which, due to various characteristics, are predestined to have a broad health-promoting effect.
Stays in spa forests can help to reduce progression, recurrence or chronification (secondary prevention). The infrastructural requirements take this extended function into account.
Designated spa forest in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern:
- Baltic Sea spa Graal-Müritz
Spa forests under construction in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern:
- Krakow am See
- Baltic spa Wustrow
- Waren (Müritz) spa - Ecktannen