Natural remedy: Water
Hydrotherapy, also called water therapy, is the application of water for the therapeutic treatment of acute or chronic complaints, for the stabilisation of body functions, for prevention, for rehabilitation or for regeneration. Depending on the clinical picture, the applications are administered cold, warm, alternating warmth, hot or gaseous in the form of water pours, baths, ablutions and treading water.
The aims are to optimise cardiovascular regulation, thermoregulation and thus also the immune system and the nervous system.
The pioneers of hydrotherapy include:
- Siegmund and Johann Siegmund Hahn (co-founders of hydrotherapy).
- Vincenz Prießnitz (cold water wraps or compresses)
- Pastor Sebastian Kneipp (father of Kneipp therapy)
- Hydrotherapy is suitable for these illnesses
- circulatory disorders, coronary heart disease, venous diseases, arteriosclerosis
- gastrointestinal complaints
- psychosomatic complaints, peripheral nerve diseases
- hardening, performance enhancement, regeneration
- Diseases of the musculoskeletal system
- Hormonal and metabolic complaints